We strive to not only be socially appealing, have successful dinner/dances and dynamic general meetings for our members, but to:
- Foster pride in oneself and increase self esteem in being a Sicilian American. This is accomplished by sharing the knowledge of what your Sicilian forefathers accomplished, the subjugation they experienced and the traditions that they passed on.
- Restore the Sicilian traditions for your family regarding Language, Cuisine, Music, Literature, Poetry and Celebrations.
- Promote travel to Sicily, so that one can experience first hand the warmth and beauty of that island and its people. Perhaps you will relive the feelings you had as a child in the home of your Sicilian ancestors. The stories that they told you about their homeland can now, with a little imagination, be experienced by you.
- To inform people of the marvels of Sicily, as the cradle of European civilization, a former Kingdom that existed long before Italy was nothing more than a peninsula, and as the birthplace to something more than blood oranges, prickly pears and ice cream.
- End the stereotyping of the Sicilian Americans as mobsters. This can happen by simply making the use of the term “MAFIA” politically incorrect. Everyone knows that the Mafia was born and bred in Sicily … but, nobody seems to know why … and our mission is to inform society that mobsters, drug dealers and the like are a worldwide commodity, in fact more prominent in other areas of the world than in Sicily. By labeling it the MAFIA, the subliminal message is SICILIAN, a message that fosters stereotyping.
- To create the vehicle that will unite the more than fifty Sicilian American organizations throughout the United States, into autonomous organizations with a unified agenda.